Congressman Cleaver: President’s Forward-Looking Budget Makes Bold Investments in America’s Future
WASHINGTON, D.C. – Today, the White House sent President Obama’s Fiscal Year 2017 budget request to Congress. Congressman Cleaver applauded the President for putting forward a budget that builds the foundation for a strong American future – investing in innovation for the 21st century, advancing a world-class education system, and empowering hard-working families.
“Make no mistake, the President has presented a bold, forward-looking plan for the future: a budget that creates good-paying jobs, fuels innovation, education, and infrastructure, and strengthens our national security,” said Congressman Cleaver. “Building on the framework of the bipartisan budget agreement signed into law last fall, this budget charts an aggressive, new course for American job growth and prosperity.”
The President’s budget request makes key investments to grow the economy and expand opportunity for hard-working Americans in the 21st century:
- Innovation to Forge A Better Future: create the industries and good-paying jobs of the future, doubling investment in clean energy research and development, embracing 21st century transportation infrastructure, and launching Vice President Biden’s Moonshot to end cancer;
- Education to Expand Opportunity: strengthen Pell Grants for striving students, expand early childhood education, invest in job training and apprenticeships to help all workers get the skills they need for the 21st century economy;
- Empower Hard-Working Families: expand tax credits for hard-working families, increase access to quality child care, expand paid leave, enact comprehensive immigration reform and help workers save more for a secure and comfortable retirement;
- Protect Police and Communities: ensure $30 million in funding for police body camera programs as one part of a broader solution to keep our communities safe, promote accountability, and protect the rights of all parties involved, something Congressman Cleaver succeeded in having included in the current 2016 omnibus spending bill;
- Commemoration of World War I: guarantee that the World War I Centennial Commission has proper funding as it prepares to observe and memorialize the War’s centenary, including the kick-off of America’s involvement in the Great War in April 2017 in Kansas City at the National World War I Museum and Memorial;
- Enhance Transit Services: provide $30 million in funding for the development of Prospect MAX bus rapid transit service on Prospect Avenue between downtown and 75th Street in Kansas City.
“I am very pleased that body camera funding, support for the World War I Centennial Commission, and Prospect MAX funding are all included in the President’s budget, as they are items I have worked hard to ensure were included. I will continue to embrace the possibility of America and work to secure a strong future of prosperity and opportunity for our seniors and hard-working families.” continued Congressman Cleaver.
Emanuel Cleaver, II is the U.S. Representative for Missouri’s Fifth Congressional District, which includes Kansas City, Independence, Lee's Summit, Raytown, Grandview, Sugar Creek, Blue Springs, Grain Valley, Oak Grove, North Kansas City, Gladstone, Claycomo, and all of Ray, Lafayette, and Saline Counties. He is a member of the exclusive House Financial Services Committee, the Ranking Member of the Subcommittee on Housing and Insurance, and also a Senior Whip of the Democratic Caucus. A high-resolution photo of Congressman Cleaver is available here.
For more information please contact Heather Frierson – email@example.com or (816) 842-4545.