Rep. Cleaver Receives “Friend of Farm Bureau” Award From American Farm Bureau Federation
(Washington, D.C.) – This week, United States Representative Emanuel Cleaver, II (D-MO) was notified of his selection as a recipient of the Friend of Farm Bureau award by the American Farm Bureau Federation.
“It is impossible to overstate the pivotal role farmers and ranchers play in keeping food on the table for families in Missouri and across the country,” said Congressman Cleaver. “That is something I learned firsthand growing up in rural Texas, and the perspective through which I seek to find bipartisan solutions that will enable American agriculture to prosper. While I’ve always considered the Farm Bureau a friend, it is truly humbling to be recognized for this prestigious award, and it only reaffirms my commitment to working with any and all colleagues in Congress to protect our nation’s proud farmers and ranchers.”
The Friend of Farm Bureau award is given to “members of Congress who have supported Farm Bureau’s position on policy issues, as demonstrated by their voting records, and who were nominated by their respective state Farm Bureaus and approved by the AFBF Board of Directors.”
Some notable actions Congressman Cleaver has taken to protect the American agricultural industry in the 116th Congress include:
- Voting for the bipartisan U.S., Mexico, Canada (USMCA) trade agreement, which would increase agricultural exports to the world by $2.2 billion;
- Advocating for the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) to select Kansas City for the new headquarters of the Economic Research Service (ERS) and National Institute of Food and Agriculture (NIFA);
- Holding a hearing to examine U.S. trade policy and the negative impact of tariffs;
- Hosting the Canadian trade consul for a community discussion in Higginsville, Missouri;
- Calling on the Administration to revoke tariffs and provide additional aid to farmers impacted by them.
- Pushing for congressional leadership to provide direct assistance to biofuels sector, which has been devastated from the COVID-19 pandemic.
You can find the official letter from the American Farm Bureau Federation here.
Emanuel Cleaver, II is the U.S. Representative for Missouri's Fifth Congressional District, which includes Kansas City, Independence, Lee's Summit, Raytown, Grandview, Sugar Creek, Blue Springs, Grain Valley, Oak Grove, North Kansas City, Gladstone, Claycomo, and all of Ray, Lafayette, and Saline Counties. He is a member of the exclusive House Financial Services Committee; Chairman of the House Subcommittee on National Security, International Development, and Monetary Policy; member of the Select Committee on the Modernization of Congress; member of the Committee on Homeland Security; and a Senior Whip of the Democratic Caucus. For more information, please contact Matt Helfant at 202-590-0175 or Matthew.Helfant@mail.house.gov A high-resolution photo of Congressman Cleaver is available here.