Agency Help

Residents of the 5th Congressional District of Missouri can contact me for assistance in dealing with Federal agencies. If you can't get an answer from a federal agency in a timely fashion, or if you feel you have been treated unfairly, my office may be able to help resolve a problem or get you the information you need. While we cannot guarantee you a favorable outcome, we will do our best to help you receive a fair and timely response to your problem.

Under the provisions of the Privacy Act of 1974, our office must have written authorization from you before making an inquiry to a federal agency on your behalf. This law was enacted to protect individuals from unauthorized disclosure of personal information without their consent. In order for our office to effectively advocate on your behalf, we require you to fill out and return a privacy waiver. Please note that we will not accept electronic signatures. A written signature must be given.

For all citizenship and immigration issues, you must download and fill out the USCIS privacy authorization form

For all other federal issues, you must download and fill out the GENERAL privacy authorization form.

The form must be signed by the person whose case is in question. When you return the completed privacy waiver it would also be very helpful if you would include all documentation from the agency including correspondence and other information relevant to your case.

State Agency Issues

As a federal legislator Congressman Cleaver has no authority to intervene in matters that fall under the jurisdiction of the State of Missouri. Some examples of state matters are: medicaid, food stamps, child support, insurance regulation, or utility regulation. You should contact the Governor or your State Legislators for assistance with these matters. You can obtain a complete listing of state agencies and contact information for the Office of the Governor and/or your State Legislators by logging onto the State of Missouri's website at

If You Are Contacting Me Regarding a Legal Issue

The rules of the House of Representatives prevent Congressman Cleaver or his office from intervening in the proceedings of any court of law (including appeal proceedings), since these are activities of the judicial branch of government. If you are having a legal problem involving the courts or prison system, you may need to contact the Justice Department or consider help from an attorney.


To provide effective service to the citizens of the Fifth Congressional District, all casework is handled through my District offices. You can reach our offices at:

Kansas City, Missouri

4001 Blue Pkwy, Ste 210
Kansas City, MO 64130
phone: 816-842-4545
fax: 816-833-2991

Independence, Missouri

411 W. Maple Ave, Ste F
Independence, MO 64050
phone: 816-833-4545
fax: 816-833-2991

Higginsville, Missouri

1923 Main Street
Higginsville, MO 64037
phone: 660-584-7373
fax: 660-584-7227