Military Academy Nominations - FAQ
What are the basic eligibility requirements?
Each applicant must meet the following eligibility requirements as of July 1st of the year of admission to an academy:
- Age: Be at least 17 years old, but not have passed the 23rd birthday
- Citizenship: Must be a U.S. citizen
- Marital Status: Must be unmarried, not pregnant, and without legal obligation to support children or other dependents
- Residence: Must reside within the boundaries of the 5th Congressional District of MISSOURI.
- Skill / Fitness: Must meet the medical, physical, and academic requirements of the Academy.
A candidate may seek a nomination from the following:
- Your Member of Congress from the U.S. House of Representatives
- Both U.S. Senators from his or her state
- Apply directly to the Vice-President of the United States
*Due to the competitive nature of the nomination process, you should seek as many nominations as possible.
A complete nomination file consists of the following items:
- Your application
- Current Photo
- High School Transcript
- An essay stating why you want to attend a service academy (500 words or less)
- Two letters of recommendation
When do I apply for a nomination?
The nomination application is open to those candidates who are high school juniors and will be seniors the following school year, or who have already graduated.
What is the deadline for completing a nomination file?
The deadline for submitting a complete nomination packet to my District Office is October 12, 2017. It is your responsibility to have all required materials submitted by this date.
How do I submit my completed my nomination file?
- Mail: 211 W. Maple Ave Independence, MO 64050
- Email: Breanna.Cameron@mail.house.gov
What criteria are used in selecting candidates?
Nominations are based on a "whole person" evaluation. Factors such as academic achievements, extra-curricular activities, leadership skills, physical aptitude, character and motivation are taken into consideration and compared with other applicants.
How many academies are there?
There are five service academies.
- U.S. Military Academy at West Point, New York
- U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis, Maryland
- U.S. Air Force Academy at Colorado Springs
- U.S. Merchant Marine Academy at Kings Point, New York
- U.S. Coast Guard Academy at New London, Connecticut
*The U.S. Coast Guard Academy does not require a nomination
Are the requirements the same for all of the service academies?
No. Although many of the qualifications are similar, each academy operates under its own admissions guidelines. Visit the website for the academy of your choice for their specific admissions qualifications.
Who should I ask to write a letter of recommendation on my behalf?
Teachers, Counselors, Employers, Coaches, Clergy, Scout Leaders, etc.
Will I automatically be selected by the academy after I receive a nomination?
No. You will be placed among a select group of nominees, and the academy of your choice will make the final decision. If selected, you will receive an offer of admission (an appointment) directly from the academy.
What if I choose more than one academy? Will I be limited to a single nomination?
No. You can be nominated to multiple academies depending on how well you have competed among this year's pool of candidates. It is also possible to obtain multiple appointments.
When will I know if I have been offered an appointment by an academy?
Once a completed application packet is received by the academy they will begin evaluating it. You should monitor your application portal for changes to the status of your application. All offers of appointment are generally sent out by May.
To find additional information and the application please visit Congressman Cleaver’s web site:
You may also call my Independence office at 816-833-4545 or email Breanna Cameron at Breanna.Cameron@mail.house.gov with questions.