Service Academy Nominations
The application deadline is October 15, 2020
There are five (5) service academies that offer appointments to highly qualified individuals who meet eligibility requirements and are the most competitive in academic performance, physical fitness, medical standards, extracurricular involvement, leadership traits, and aptitude for military service. Click on the military service seals below to visit the web sites for each academy to determine their minimum entrance requirements.
All service academies, other than the United States Coast Guard Academy, require a nomination from a qualified nominating source. As your Congressional Representative, I accept nomination applications from residents of the Fifth Congressional District of Missouri who are interested in attending one of the nation's military academies. Nominations can be made to the U.S. Air Force Academy, the U.S. Naval Academy, the U.S. Military Academy (West Point), and the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy. The honor of attending a service academy comes with an obligation and commitment to serve in the military upon graduation.
Applicants must meet the following requirements to be considered for a Congressional nomination:
- Age: Be at least 17 years old, but not have passed the 23rd birthday
- Citizenship: Must be a U.S. citizen
- Marital Status: Must be unmarried, not pregnant, and without legal obligation to support children or other dependents
- Residence: Applicant must be a resident of Missouri’s Fifth Congressional District.
- Skill/Fitness: Must meet the medical, physical, and academic requirements of the Academy.
An application is considered "Complete" in Congressman Cleaver's office when it contains the following items:
- Completed Application Click the link to begin the application, print and sign the completed form.
- Current Photo
- Academic Transcript Can be an unofficial version. If you have trouble obtaining this due to COVID-19 we will work with you, but you have to alert us.
- Two letters of recommendation
- Personal Statement (Choose from 1 of the below topics to write about in 500 words or less)
- Describe where you envision yourself in 15 years, and how attending a service academy will help you attain this goal.
- What do you believe are the most important qualities in being successful in the military?
Submit all materials by the deadline via:
- Email: Breanna.Cameron@mail.house.gov
- Fax: (816) 833-2991
If you need to mail something to us please email Breanna.Cameron@mail.house.gov prior to sending it so she can advise the best address at that time. If possible please email all materials. This ensures you have a receipt they were received prior to the deadline.
What criteria are used in selecting candidates?
Nominations are based on a "whole person" evaluation. Factors such as academic achievements, extra-curricular activities, leadership skills, physical aptitude, character, and motivation are taken into consideration and compared with other applicants.
Are the requirements the same for all of the service academies?
No. Although many of the qualifications are similar, each academy operates under its own admissions guidelines. Visit the website for the academy of your choice for their specific admissions qualifications.
Who should I ask to write a letter of recommendation on my behalf?
Teachers, Counselors, Employers, Coaches, Clergy, Scout Leaders, or any non-family member who can accurately comment on the applicant's character.
Will I automatically be selected by the academy after I receive a nomination?
No. You will be placed among a select group of nominees, and the academy of your choice will make the final decision. If selected, you will receive an offer of admission (an appointment) directly from the academy.
What if I choose more than one academy? Will I be limited to a single nomination?
No. You can be nominated to multiple academies depending on how well you have competed among this year's pool of candidates. It is also possible to obtain multiple appointments.
When will I know if I received a nomination from your office?
Members of Congress have until January 31st to submit nominations to the academy. You will be notified when nominations have been finalized and submitted to the academy. The date this occurs varies year-to-year and is affected by various items including, but not limited to, the number of applications received and the legislative calendar.
When will I know if I have been offered an appointment by an academy?
Once a completed application packet is received by the academy they will begin evaluating it. You should monitor your application portal for changes to the status of your application. All offers of appointment are generally sent out by May.
Due to the competitive nature of the nomination process, you should seek as many nominations as possible.