Congressman Cleaver Highlights New Report
(Washington D.C.) – Congressman Emanuel Cleaver, II highlighted a new report which shows how the latest Trumpcare legislation, which the Senate GOP hopes to rush to a vote next week, would rob insurance coverage from 534,000 Missourians in 2027.
“Republicans are trying to force the devastation of Trumpcare on Americans once more, stealing billions of dollars from funds that keep health care affordable for Missouri’s families,” said Congressman Cleaver.
“Trumpcare will devastate some of our most vulnerable citizens; veterans, seniors, women, working families, people with pre-existing conditions and rural communities,” he continued.
The extreme version of Trumpcare, now the proposed Graham-Cassidy bill, introduced by Senators Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) and Bill Cassidy (R-LA), would rip away the promise of affordable quality health care in America. The bill:
• Slashes Medicaid funding – Graham-Cassidy guts Medicaid by $236 billion between 2020-2026 by limiting the amount of funding states receive.
• Requires States to Start Over & Build State Health Systems from the bottom up – States will have to decide and develop plans on how they will use block grants by 2020 before they can receive the money. If they don’t make that deadline, it could throw the marketplace and consumers into chaos.
• Provides Higher Costs, Less Coverage – This new Trumpcare bill forces families to pay much higher out-of-pocket health care costs, including deductibles. Trumpcare will take away some or all health care from tens of millions of hard-working Americans.
• Guts Key Protections –The bill guts key protections for people with pre-existing conditions and essential health benefits, and reinstates lifetime and annual limits on care.
• Allows Crushing Age Tax – Graham-Cassidy exposes older Americans to higher premiums than what others pay for health coverage, no matter how healthy they are.
Virtually the entire health care industry has expressed opposition to the Graham-Cassidy bill, including: the American Medical Association, the American Academy of Pediatrics, the American College of Physicians, the American Hospital Association, the Children’s Hospital Association, the Catholic Health Association of the United States, America’s Health Insurance Plans, the Blue Cross Blue Shield Association. The AARP found that older people could pay as much as $16,174 more per year for health coverage under this bill. A 60-year-old making $25,000 per year would have to pay as much as $16,174 due to the elimination of the current subsidies which help people afford their premiums and out of pocket costs.
The Graham-Cassidy bill has not been fully evaluated by the Congressional Budget Office and has not been subject to hearings in the House or Senate.
“I will fight against the staggering costs and devastating effects of this bill just as I did before. There’s an old saying that applies here pertaining to the true definition of insanity, we can’t repeat the same actions and expect a new result. What would that make us?” said Congressman Cleaver.
“Rather than attempting to pass another version of Trumpcare, Congress should continue the bipartisan work to come up with improvements to the Affordable Care Act.”
Emanuel Cleaver, II is the U.S. Representative for Missouri’s Fifth Congressional District, which includes Kansas City, Independence, Lee’s Summit, Raytown, Grandview, Sugar Creek, Blue Springs, Grain Valley, Oak Grove, North Kansas City, Gladstone, Claycomo, and all of Ray, Lafayette, and Saline Counties. He is a member of the exclusive House Financial Services Committee, the Ranking Member of the Subcommittee on Housing and Insurance, and also a Senior Whip of the Democratic Caucus. For more information, please contact Heather Frierson at 816-842-4545 or Heather.Frierson@mail.house.gov